My new angling companions both fish as members of local societies which have on their books some fabulous waters containing a very good mix of species to specimen proportions, with this in mind I have already joined one and will be joining the second when their membership renewals night arrives in February.
January's fishing has been a limited affair, what with starting my new job and various other commitments I've only managed to get to the waters edge twice, the first time without tackle to visit Bob on a very wintery Sunday morning Pike session and the second, my first trip to one of the societies waters in pursuit of a January Carp. On my trip to see Bob it was great to be out, even without my rods, especially as our planned meeting unexpectedly coincided with this winters first proper overnight snow. We had planned to meet on the river where Bob was dead baiting for Pike, as usual I awoke before the alarm went off excited to be out however what met me on leaving the house was a good layer of white stuff. It had snowed quite heavily through the night and had left the world looking very wintery, the 30 minute drive to the river was a pleasure with white tipped trees and snow covered fields.
Once I'd found where to park it was only a short walk to find Bob and his fellow anglers. This was my first proper meeting with Bob, although we had been corresponding via messenger and it was a pleasure to finally meet the man in person. He was just setting up his rods as I arrived but was happy to stop and chat although I encouraged him to carry on and get those baited rods out and into position in the heavy flow of the swollen river. It wasn't very long before the first action of the session as the closest bung bobbed a couple of times before slowly gliding under the rivers surface, Bob was quickly onto the rod and after a spirited but brief fight in the rivers strong current Bob brought a lovely winter Pike to hand, it looked stunning on the bank on this cold, snowy Sunday morning so I offered to take a quick photo before Bob gently released his prize back into the cold winter water.
It wasn't long before the next chance came along in fact it only seemed like minutes before the second bung, fished into a slack area to the left of the swim started to bob and then dip under and again a spirited but short fight ensued and Bob had his second Pike of the session on the bank. Two fish on the bank in less than an hour, what a fabulous winter mornings Pike fishing I was witnessing!
Unfortunately I had to leave shortly after Bob returned the second Pike and as I made my farewells we also promised it wouldn't be long before we fished together properly.
Although I can't actually join Bob's waters until the last week in February, I am however very excited at the prospect of joining especially as I will be able to fish a pool I've only dreamt about since I was a teenager, a lily covered pool of natural beauty that holds some lovely fish. The end of February can't come quick enough for this angler.
As for my first session of 2016 behind the rods, it took the form of a short three hour post work session on one of the waters belonging to the Leicestershire based Broome Angling Society, which I have joined for the first time this year. I'd originally planned to finish work at midday and head to the Kilworth Sticks complex for a bit of a recce of all of the pools, however when I arrived and looked across the deserted Lizzies Lake I abandoned the idea of a walkabout and decided to get the rods fishing as soon as possible. That actually turned into a bit of a challenge as the wind had picked up and was gusting to around 40mph, anything not held down quickly tried to take off!
I tackled up my new Prologic C1 carp rod with a basic lead clip set up onto which I attached a short exposed braided hooklink which was knotless knotted to a size 6 GW Rig Solutions barbless long shank hook. As boilies and artificial (plastic) baits are banned on all of the Broome waters (except Jurrasic) my plan of action was to fish a small piece of spicy peperami tipped with a single grain of sweetcorn on a long hair and then attach a small pva bag of mixed pellets to the hook prior to casting. The intention was to create a small patch of high attraction and hopefully draw the carps attention to the spicy hookbait, this first rod was then cast as tight to the island as I could get in the very windy conditions.
Once I'd returned my prize, refreshed the hookbait and re-cast to the island spot I gave Tudor a quick call back to let him know of my result and after his congratulations I started to sort out my second rod. However, before I could get the second rod sorted I had a screamer on the island rod! A short while later I had another stunning Common of just over 6lb on the unhooking mat, half an hour into my first session behind the carp rods and I'd already banked two cracking little winter commons, I couldn't have been happier.
When I'd got everything sorted and the hot rod back out to the island spot I finally managed to get the second rod organised and into position. I dropped the rig into the margin under an overhanging tree and scattered a couple of handfuls of corn and pellets over the spot. I was finally fishing two rods an hour after arriving at the lake!
It wasn't long before I received a text from Tudor saying that he was going to pop down to the lake to see how I was getting on, as there wasn't another angler on the water I was pleased to be having the company, especially as I had a feeling more carp would be gracing my net on the session. Five minutes before Tudor arrived a had a couple of bleeps on the island rod, I hovered over the rod and a couple of seconds later the line tightened and the swinger moved a fraction, I instantly picked up the rod and wound down into another fish. It didn't give as good an account of itself as the first two but I was pleased to engulf a pretty mirror of around 5lb within the folds of my net. I quickly unhooked this little mirror, took a quick mat shot and slid her back into the cold lake, as I shook my hands dry Tudor pulled into the car park.
It was great to see Tudor and we chatted away about the Society and it's lakes along with our prospects for 2016, we've decided to try and catch as many different species as we can at the best weights possible from our society waters during the coming season. Typically once Tudor had arrived the action had slowed down and we both sat patiently awaiting for mr cypry to trip up. I had to be home by five as the wife and I were going out for the evening, so at around four I suggested to Tudor that I start packing up my gear. As always I intended to leave the rods out to the death so started with packing the scales, sling and unhooking mat, just as I picked up the scales the margin rod tore off!
A couple of minutes later Tudor (my new ghillie) slid the net under another little mirror of around 5lb, I was so pleased to have banked a carp while Tudor was with me, especially as it was all down to him that I was there in the first place. We quickly returned the little mirror before I finally packed up the rest of the gear and loaded the car ready for home.
What a first session on my new waters, less than four hours and four carp on the unhooking mat, two commons and two mirrors, what a session to start my piscatorial peregrination for 2016!
Until the next time....TIGHT LINES





No comments:
Post a Comment