Sunday, 1 March 2015

The return of Wet 'N' Dry......

So early on Saturday morning I managed to sneak a couple of hours in on the canal.

My initial plan on Friday evening was to get up early on Saturday morning and head out with the fly rod and to take the lure rod along as well to have both options covered. However, upon seeing the miserable grey skies and strong breeze that faced me on Saturday morning I decided to leave the fly gear at home and just set out with the new lure set up I'd acquired during the week. As I only had a couple of hours available I worked on the idea of using the time to get to grips with casting and working a lure, also feeling if I was to have any chance of catching in the horrid weather I was heading out into then a lure may give me a slight advantage over the fly, especially as the lures I was thinking of trying have a slight rattle which should help fish to locate them in the very coloured water on the local canal.

I chose to have a crack at a different section of the canal from where I'd started out my fly fishing campaign last weekend, the section I headed for in the car was the stretch I'd walked with Hannah and the Lurcher's the previous Sunday. While we'd been walking I'd noted a few likely looking areas that I wanted to explore and thought this section was as good as any for me to have my initial trials with lures.

As I pulled up into the parking space I'd located at the side of the canal it started to drizzle, the sort of drizzle that doesn't look much but after a short while soaks you through. I was here now though and if I'm honest I was dying to get a lure into the water and fish, sometimes no matter what the weather you just have to fish, even if it means an uncomfortable session. If you're a fisherman you'll understand, if not you'll think I'm mad, maybe I am?

I had already set up my 30Plus Radar 8' Lure rod with the Rovex Ceratec 3000 reel I'd purchased and this was loaded with 15lb braid onto which I'd tied a wire trace and now I was canal side I clipped on an 8g Slim Jim Lure. I'd chosen the Slim Jim as it was a slightly smaller lure and I had read that it was designed to mimic the characteristics of small coarse fish and was a very good lure for smaller Pike and Perch.


 The Slim Jim Lure


Setting off down the steps onto the tow path a couple of fat wood pigeons clattered out of the trees above me, obviously not happy at my appearance in their vicinity, I'd have been annoyed with myself for spooking them if I'd been out with the Air Rifle and not the fishing rods! Once on the path I initially decided to head off to my right under the bridge in the direction I'd walked with Hannah the week previously, although for some strange reason I had a real compulsion to go left instead? Knowing I'd seen a couple of areas I wanted to try the week before I resisted the urge to go left and carried on under the bridge to the right heading for the first area I wanted to try. I started to get to grips with casting the Lure rod fairly quickly, soon able to flick the Slim Jim into some very Pikey looking spots without too much trouble. As I reached the next bridge the breeze had really started to pick up and the drizzle was getting driven into me, quickly soaking me and my kit. For some reason the niggling urge to head left again started to play on my mind, especially as by heading back to the first bridge and then left I'd be turning a corner backed by woodland which offered some shelter from the rain and wind. I could resist no longer and a quick reversal was decided upon and I strode off back to the first bridge and more uncharted canal.

As I started to explore this new area of the canal I came across a spot that just looked so fishy I had to have a cast, with what seemed to be an old pontoon of sorts sticking out of the water on the opposite bank, it looked the perfect spot for a predator or two to lurk around. I flicked my first diagonal cast in the direction of the last rotted post in the water and it dropped a foot or so short of where I felt I needed to be and sure enough, nothing. On the third attempt my cast dropped right next to the post and I remember feeling 'that is the spot', a few slow turns of the reel handle and I felt something hit the lure and I swept the rod to my right to strike. Immediately I was met with the resistance of a fighting fish which at first I thought was a small Jack Pike but I couldn't believe it when all of a sudden it thrashed to the surface and I could see it was a small Zander, not just a Zander but the first Zander I'd ever seen let alone hooked! A nervous couple of minutes went by while the Zed shook it's head vigorously to rid the hook and I reached for my net, thankfully it all went to plan and the little Zed slid into the folds of my waiting net.

My first Zander...perfect!

It was only a small Zed approx 12” in length but it was fin perfect, a stunning little predator and I was over the moon with the capture. I'd never before seen let alone caught a Zander and to christen my new lure rod with such a superb little fish made the hour or so in the soaking rain worth every second. Unfortunately the camera didn't like the wet conditions as much and my attempt at a self portrait of my little Zed and I came out a little blurred.

 Wet but happy angler

After the photos were sorted I started getting everything back in order but the wet conditions now conspired against me, a slippery mud stricken tow path caught me out and in a split second my right leg disappeared to the knee into the near margin, my boot filled and was waterlogged but I didn't care, in fact I had a wry smile on my face!
Years ago as a youngster while fishing with my father, grandfather and uncle Frank at Henry's pool in Cambridgeshire as I was trying to return a Tench I'd caught I stepped on what I thought was solid bankside and my right leg disappeared into the pool soaking my jeans to the knee and filling my wellington boot, my father, grandfather and uncle found this very amusing and my uncle quickly nicknamed me Wet 'N' Dry on account of my one wet and one dry leg! From that day forward, whenever I saw my uncle Frank my name to him was always Wet 'N' Dry, he never let me forget and now here on the canal with a right boot full of water and trousers soaked to the knee I couldn't help but smile. Maybe, just maybe that niggling feeling I'd had to head left instead of right which eventually led to my first Zander had been my uncle, the wonderful fisherman that he was, pointing me in the right direction? Whatever I'd like to believe what I do know is that a very wet miserable looking morning had turned into a truly memorable morning for me, even with a soaking from the heavens and an unexpected dunking for my right leg from the canal.

I'd caught my first Zander and Wet 'N' Dry could not be happier.........

No comments:

Post a Comment